[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Warehouse23 • View topic - Other interests in general

<  Old Guesthouse  ~  Other interests in general

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:05 pm
Safety InspectorPosts: 415Location: Boston, MA (US)Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:28 am
So sure, we all have game-playing and potentially obsessive behavior in common (okay, maybe that last bit is just me). But what else do we have going on?

Me, I like to *say* that I like a bunch of activities, like backpacking/hiking, rock climbing, and ultimate frisbee. But I don't get out and *do* them nearly as often as I would like. Too much time in front of a computer.

I'm also pretty much a music/movie slut. I'll listen to/watch anything once. :wink: My interests there are pretty varied. Radiohead is the favorite band of the moment (though it has held on strong for quite a while), and I listen to a lot of local/indie/folk music. The best new album I've heard recently was DJ Dangermouse's Grey Album (He mixed together the Beatles White Album with JayZ's Black Album... It is farking brilliant). As for movies, I've been into documentaries a lot recently -- I just recently saw "To Have and To Hold"... It's a fantastic film about a French country school. My favorite movie, though, is Fight Club, with Donnie Darko following not too far behind.

Uh, and books! I like them too! For brain candy I've recently read some Dan Brown stuff (DaVinci Code and Deception Point) which was "eh" but fun. I have also been reading non-mainstream economics books, like Jane Jacobs "Cities and the Wealth of Nations".

Oh, and I am a fan of Joss Whedon's TV shows (Buffy, Angel, and the sadly short-lived Firefly). And cats. I like cats. And some dogs.

I suppose my primary activity, though, would be described as "hanging out with friends". Which is not so bad as far as primary activities go. I need to get some more paying work though, and soon. (I'm a freelance photographer -- if you have a gig, hook me up! Check out my portfolio at !)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:47 pm
Hm, well Im not much of an avid gamer, id say KoL is about the only rpg ive ever played aside from zelda on NES lol. Im not much into games, but KoL is addictive. I like to play soccer, been a while though. Um, i go to class *sometimes* and i do homework *a lot* and I just hang out with friends, go to parties, the usual mindless stuff i guess. Favorite movies = donnie darko and the boondock saints; listen to music, just music, i try not to classify it, i range from beatles and rolling stones, to my favorite band system of a down.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:55 pm
Inhuman ResourcesPosts: 112Location: Yakima, WashingtonJoined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:35 pm
Yeah, you're going to probably see a lot of the same here.

Since I work on computers and play on computers you can imagine me as one of those pasty fat Everquest players, except I hate that game with a firey passion. Beyond the whole work/play computer thing, I enjoy watching specific films and shows. Fight Club is one of my all time favorite films, but I'm enough of a snob to say I like Dead Man, Rushmore, Henry Fool, and oh.. The Spanish Prisoner, all about the same as second favorites.

Musically, I enjoy a mixed bag. Recently, I rediscovered Pavement and New Order, and straight up found out about Longwave. I dig the new kind of electronic sounds that are coming out like Mum and Rumpistol. Likes me some Kid606 when work has been tearing me down. When I'm really down, there's Radiohead, Pedro the Lion, The Postal Service, and the Pixies that pick me up, for whatever reason.

Out side of sitting on my ass.. uh, I like photography and reading. Photography is just a hobby though, but if I'm ever going to get out of being chained to my computer I should probably work on getting some money. What with the cost of hardware these days. Unfortunately, I like drinking with friends. Fortunately, not many of my friends drink or have money to do this, so I'm not a lush.

I enjoy reading a good non-superhero comic book now and then (except Powers, that's a good superhero related comic). Anything by Warren Ellis or Bendis would be worth reading, but 100 Bullets is probably going to go down as my most beloved comic series.

Oh man.. I'm such a dork. Forget I said anything.

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:25 pm
Citibank JesusPosts: 173Location: BostonJoined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:19 am
Since you're all expecting it of me, let me get it out of the way:
Music! Musicmusicmusicmusic. Music music. Right.

I listen to music almost 22 hours a day, I'd wager. And if I'm awake and it's not on, I find myself humming, singing or whistling anyhow. I'm partial to all sorts of weird crap, ranging from ethnic fusion, to modern classical, to power metal, to folk and back. With a lot of dance music thrown in.

I'd say "when I'm not listening to music, I do X," but that wouldn't go very far, because I think the only answers are "I'm talking to someone who won't listen to music at the same time" or "I'm in the shower." Right.

So, things I like to do in addition to listening to music are taking really long walks and ridiculously stupid hours of the night, cooking all kinds of weird vegetarian things, dancing around the house for no good reason, reading various fantasy novels and talking. Lots of talking. IRC or in person being favoured methods.

Theoretically I also spend some time practicing flute and piccolo (but not the latter much lately, as this thing is so incredibly out of alignment that I feel like miniature javelin practice when I try), singing and composing. Not nearly enough composing, truly.

Yeah, lately that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:17 am
Damnit, I wish the alarm inside the warehouse would quit going off. I can hardly think about my posts with all that noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:15 am
Posts: 65Location: MontrealJoined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:39 pm
This is probably as good a place as any to introduce myself, I suppose.

Most of the time, I'm a student at McGill University here in Montreal, where I'll be finishing a degree this year in International Development. I've been lucky enough to find occasional work reviewing nonprofit grants for the US gov't to pay for my life here, so this is my more or less carefree summer.

For the time being, my primary activities are wiffle ball, music, movies, and attending Montreal Expos games. I'm pretty hooked on the local music scene here, and I generally try and get my hands on post-rock and other interesting guitar music -- though a little turntable and experimental does it for me as well. During the school year I practice kendo, and up until recently I've been a competitive debater.

Other things I enjoy... walking, touring the city, going to bars, reading, minor public disturbances, coffee, the occasional comic book, computer games, sleeping...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:45 am
Posts: 871Location: Richmond, VAJoined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:34 am
What do I like to do other than KoL...

Well, KoL is pretty much my workday. So, the other hours. I like reading (King and Koontz are my heros, I've just hijacked a load of my dad's old Analog's, and I'm into the total mindlessness of trashy romance novels, but I'll read pretty much anything as long as it has words on it)

I play EQOA w/ my other half, I play cleric and tank the holy hell out of stuff while he fries it with a wizzie. We find it works well. It's something geeky we can do together (and with some of our RL friends). I blame my addition on Beta. He got it, I played his, I got hooked. It was SO not fair :)

I also play D&D on the weekends. (God I sound like such a total wank nerd!) It's not really a D&D group, it's an eating club masquerading as a D&D group. See, on Friday or Saturday morning, one of the boys calls to see what my shopping list is. They bring all the food, I cook it. We do everything from pasta to chili to sesame chicken (6 pounds of chicken for 6 people... good lord). In maybe 9 hours of them being at my house they'll play for 3.

Other than THAT, I watch movies. Lots of movies. Managed to get my hands on a bunch of free movie passes, so it's about the only thing we can afford at the moment. And music. Lots of music. I used to be more into the local band scene in college (go Fighting Gravity!) but now I just do it sometimes. I've got tons of MP3's and such, so making mixes is a good passtime.

Yeah, I think that's it. Hm... lordy I'm dull.

Offline Profile YIM