<  Old Guesthouse  ~  What makes a clan a good clan?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:46 pm
I have great respect for many of the players who participate in this forum. And I know pretty much why I think well of them -- the things they've done, the manner in which they've done them. But I don't know much of anything about the clans they populate. And I realize that different players will value different things in a clan. So I ask -- in hopes of many different kinds of answers -- what is it that makes a clan good? Abstractly, but in particulars (that is, specific things that clans have done), too, if I may be so demanding. What do good clans do, that make them good clans?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:59 pm
PlutocratPosts: 994Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:25 pm
The people in them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:34 am
Posts: 714Location: Inside the beltwayJoined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:18 pm
To add to that... I think the good clans are those with active membership. You can have a clan that's full of terrific people, but if they don't have cause to interact, the clan will be boring and, eventually, dead. The realy good clans have great leadership and common cause - they have activities that bond the members together, their clan channel has active conversations, etc. What the clan actually does is actually secondary... as is the size, overall power, and all the other trappings. Find a clan that has an active member base, and you'll see a good clan.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:57 pm
Fusilliban wrote:
The people in them.

Do you seriously believe that? So if W23, for instance, is a good clan, it's simply because its members are just better than the members of less-good clans?

Blythe wrote:
What the clan actually does is actually secondary... as is the size, overall power, and all the other trappings. Find a clan that has an active member base, and you'll see a good clan.

Hm. To me, what the clan actually does is definitive. Some clans are very active in PvP; other clans are very active in maxing their stats. Personally, I don't find either of those especially appealing in a clan; and at the same time, of course, other people do.

What makes a clan a good clan in my eyes are members who actively contribute to each other's endeavors, who are fun to chat with, and who actively, and thoughtfully, seek to further the greater interests of the game and its community.

That's really the kind of thing I was trying to ask the good people here. What do you, personally, find appealing about the clans you like or think well of.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:30 pm
Posts: 871Location: Richmond, VAJoined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:34 am
Fusilliban wrote:
The people in them.
Thisguy wrote:
Do you seriously believe that? So if W23, for instance, is a good clan, it's simply because its members are just better than the members of less-good clans?

Actually, yes. But not necessarily in the way YOU mean.

Define better. If you define "better" as richer, smarter, more bugfindier, etc, you'd be dead wrong. I define better as "people that I just adore". Which makes my clannies "better" to me.

What makes my clan great is the people in it. We're FRIENDS. If one of them decided to quit the clan or quit KoL, I'd still talk to them. I actually like the lot of them as humans.

I guess the main componant to being a good clan is just that simple, a liking and respect for the other members. Not that we always agree, or that we haven't said a pretty vehiment "please go fuck yourself" on occasion. But on the whole, at the end of the day, we like who we're clanned with, and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Quote:
Hm. To me, what the clan actually does is definitive.

You'd probably hate me as a clannie then. I don't specifically DO anything. I don't pvp, I couldn't find a bug if I had a big blinking "LOOK HERE"S A BUG" sign pop up on my screen. I'm not awefully good at making money. But my clannies still like me, because I chat and interact and actually give a crap about them. Really though, I don't DO anything.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Pasta, that's a great answer. I get exactly what you mean. (I know I was unfair to Fusilliban, but I just wanted to expess how far his answer was from what I was trying to ask.)

Also, re:
Hotpasta wrote:
You'd probably hate me as a clannie then. I don't specifically DO anything. I don't pvp, I couldn't find a bug if I had a big blinking "LOOK HERE"S A BUG" sign pop up on my screen. I'm not awefully good at making money. But my clannies still like me, because I chat and interact and actually give a crap about them. Really though, I don't DO anything.

-- that sure counts as doing something in my book. Being fun to chat with actually is one of the most valuable contributions a clanmate can make, in my eyes. And giving a crap is indispensible.

(And I really am just interested in what people care about personally. I don't think there's any one definition of a good clan, that would be perfect for everyone.)

Edit: Edit: Nevermind....

Last edited by Thisguy on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:56 pm
Blythe wrote:
What the clan actually does is actually secondary... as is the size, overall power, and all the other trappings. Find a clan that has an active member base, and you'll see a good clan.
Thisguy wrote:
Hm. To me, what the clan actually does is definitive. Some clans are very active in PvP; other clans are very active in maxing their stats. Personally, I don't find either of those especially appealing in a clan; and at the same time, of course, other people do.

Funny thing is, you've made my point. People tend to gravitate towards others that enjoy the same sort of things, and/or has the same types of people. As you said, this can be anything from maxing stats, PvP, or hitting the market or running contests. Sometimes it's a mixture of some or all of these. Whether a clan is "good" or not doesn't depend on the particular focus - it depends on that there is a focus in the first place. This focus can even be on just having a good time with the game or as friends - there's still a reason to check and see which other clannies are online whenever you log in.

Although I also tend to doublecheck if HotPasta is around just to be sure I'm prepared for mental abuse and noodle-lashing. But then again, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:15 am
Blythe wrote:
Although I also tend to doublecheck if HotPasta is around just to be sure I'm prepared for mental abuse and noodle-lashing. But then again, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

I give you mental abuse and noodle-lashing? I'll agree with the lashing (but only if you ask for it...) but the mental abuse... *weep sob weep*

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:49 am
A perfect example - massive guilt complexes for the rest of the day. I'll be a shambling wreck...

... But I still glub yu...

So, um, yeah. People and activities is important. At least that's what I think W23 and LD have going for them more than anything else. Also why they have such a stringent application process - it doesn't take many idjits to start bringing a clan's spirits down.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:27 am
Blythe wrote:
Funny thing is, you've made my point. People tend to gravitate towards others that enjoy the same sort of things, and/or has the same types of people. As you said, this can be anything from maxing stats, PvP, or hitting the market or running contests. Sometimes it's a mixture of some or all of these. Whether a clan is "good" or not doesn't depend on the particular focus - it depends on that there is a focus in the first place. This focus can even be on just having a good time with the game or as friends - there's still a reason to check and see which other clannies are online whenever you log in.

But.... I wasn't debating you. I'm asking what you (and other people here) personally value in a clan. Surely you value some particular sort of clan activity more than others, no? Would you be equally happy in a clan solely dedicated -- but very, very dedicated -- to farming hellion cubes, as you are in your current clan? Presumably not. So then there is something more to say about this question than just that the clan should be active in some way....

Anyway, I thought it'd be an interesting question. I really don't know much about what other clans actually do, aside from the obvious things, and I'm sure that there are smart, active clans that have had ideas I'd be interested in, that people here have seen and said, "That's the kind of thing a clan I like would do."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:15 am
I'd say that theres 2 types of good clan, ones with a single narrow focus and ones that are just as active but can juggle multiple projects at once while keeping a cohesive identity. Iocaine Powder or The order of Old school players are good examples of the first, warehouse 23 and, increasingly, Aflub are examples of the second. It might be a developmental thing too W23 and Aflub have both been through "narrow focus" stages of development, perhaps thats part of how a group starts to learn everyones strengths and so on =)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:15 am
My apologies - I was thinking more in the abstract rather than what I personally look for. I'm an eclecticaraian, so I like having a wide variety of projects to choose from and participate in. Fortunately for me, Warehouse 23 has all that and more. For example, we're currently doing one where everyone This portion of this post violates Section 207.5b of Warehouse 23 policies and has therefore been removed from the public record. Further violations could result in fines, jail time, or decapitation via wet pasta. Message code 123.11.52.84, which should hopefully result in a platypus. :D I'm pretty excited about it!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:48 pm
Ruthless LeaderPosts: 413Location: Fairhope, ALJoined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:49 pm
Thisguy wrote:
But.... I wasn't debating you. I'm asking what you (and other people here) personally value in a clan. Surely you value some particular sort of clan activity more than others, no? Would you be equally happy in a clan solely dedicated -- but very, very dedicated -- to farming hellion cubes, as you are in your current clan? Presumably not. So then there is something more to say about this question than just that the clan should be active in some way....

Anyway, I thought it'd be an interesting question. I really don't know much about what other clans actually do, aside from the obvious things, and I'm sure that there are smart, active clans that have had ideas I'd be interested in, that people here have seen and said, "That's the kind of thing a clan I like would do."

Well, Warehouse 23 has undergone some interesting changes, where we are no longer just a group of folks that all know each other. Rather than being a clan where the focus is on one finite thing (Iocaine Powder), we cover a large variety of skills, and therefore could be seen almost like several 'mini clans'. We've got the social folks (thank god for them, as am horrible at that personal interaction thing), the bugfinders, the market analysts, the /traders, the buffers, the PvP crew, the power gamers, the philanthropists, the forum goers, etc...

By making it a point to do a little of everything, and have a level of excellence at all things, it empowers us to be able to mentor folks and move them from one thing to another. We're also lucky to have pretty vast resources, which allows us to fund projects others might not be able to sustain.

But what truly makes W23 the best clan in my book is that we all get along. I've got everyone in W23 and LD on my contact lists. I look forward to chatting with them in game and IRC, I help them out when able, and generally enjoy playing the game with them. And that's what makes *any* clan good. If the people in the clan are active and all like each other, then it doesn't matter waht you do as a clan, you'll be successful.

Marshall.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 12Location: LondonJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:38 pm
Thisguy wrote:

Marshall wrote:
Well, Warehouse 23 has undergone some interesting changes, where we are no longer just a group of folks that all know each other. Rather than being a clan where the focus is on one finite thing (Iocaine Powder), we cover a large variety of skills, and therefore could be seen almost like several 'mini clans'. We've got the social folks

They got a sweet deal :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:18 am
Blythe wrote:
[b]This portion of this post violates Section 207.5b of Warehouse 23 policies and has therefore been removed from the public record. Further violations could result in fines, jail time, or decapitation via wet pasta. Message code 123.11.52.84

Why must Pasta always be wet for this stuff? Couldn't I do the same thing with OUT being thrown in water first?

Offline Profile YIM