<  The Floating Log  ~  Learning Photographic Composition

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:37 pm
My other ride is Matt's MomPosts: 398Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:27 am
Ok, I'm re-camera'd. Now I just need to learn how to use it a lot better than I do now!

Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera DSC-H50/B

Also, what should be some important stuff to keep in the camera bag?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:45 pm
Posts: 871Location: Richmond, VAJoined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:34 am
Borax The Clean wrote:
Also, what should be some important stuff to keep in the camera bag?

first things first... get a lens filter. you just spent almost $400 on a camera. if you scratch the lens, you're out $400. If you scratch a filter, you're out $12. If you have to get an adapter to use filters, really, spend the cash on it. My filters just saved my $450 macro lens when I dropped the thing out of my backpack. The first filter took the brunt and shattered, the second kept the broken glass from scratching my lens. So get a filter. Or two.

Things I am never without...

1) spare battery - charged!
2) extra memory
3) spare filter
4) lens pen http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/221660897.htm

Now go forth and click!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 am
Beings the camera tard that I am, can I get some idea as to what filters I should have for my standard lens - based off of my camera type?

Extra battery is on its way and I've got an 8 GB memory card for it - so at high res, I have room for 2000+ shots.

Down the road (again based on my camera), which extra lenses should I pick up for it?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:59 am
Borax The Clean wrote:
Beings the camera tard that I am, can I get some idea as to what filters I should have for my standard lens - based off of my camera type?

The most basic, your bread and butter filter, would be either a skylight or a UV. These don't change the image diddly, but they protect your pretty investment from scratches. After that, I'd suggest a polarizer (check your manual to see if you have to use a circular one) and a neutral density. Polarizers... polarize light. I think the circular ones work for crap, but my camera won't work right with a regular one, so I'm stuck. Basically, the filter is 2 pieces of glass. You rotate the outmost one to polarize some or all of the light coming in. This is useful for reducing sun glare, and getting rid of reflections. The neutral denisty filter makes things less bright. So if you're taking pictures of a stream on a nice bright sunny day, the water doesn't wind up all blown out white with the trees black.

As for other filters, it depends on what you're photographing. I'd picked up a FLD, which reduces the green cast of fluorescent light, and an 80A, which reduces the yellow of incandescent lights. I found that the 80A (basically, a blue filter) is the bomb diggity for taking mountain pictures out here, because they didn't call them the Blue Ridge Mountains for nothing. It just ups the wattage. This page has a decent listing with what the different lens types do and some before and after shots. http://www.ritzcamera.com/help/filterDemo.htm#void

Borax The Clean wrote:
Extra battery is on its way and I've got an 8 GB memory card for it - so at high res, I have room for 2000+ shots.

You always want to shoot in the best resolution you have available. You can resize it down later, but nothing can make up for a small original image. Does that camera shoot anything other than JPG? TIFF is slightly less lossy, and RAW is no-loss. I now will only shoot in RAW. RAW is like shooting film. You can adjust everything in the virtual dark room, including the exposure. It's awesome.

Borax The Clean wrote:
Down the road (again based on my camera), which extra lenses should I pick up for it?

Not sure what's available for your camera, but I will always suggest a nice wide angle and a telephoto. Yours looks like it's got 15x zoom, which isn't bad. (Oh, if it's an option, never go near digital zoom. It's the devil).

Being a sony, it's got image stabilization. Which is awesome. It means you can hand hold it 2-3 stops lower than unstabilized.

Oh, and I suggest a tripod. Make sure it's no less than your height - 5 inches or so. When fully extended, mine goes up to 64". Add the 5 for the base of the camera to the eyepiece, and you get to 69", as tall as me. So I don't have to lean down to see through the camera. We're probably going to get a taller tripod for my husband, so he doesn't have to lean funny.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 pm
So, 74mm to 72mm or 74mm to 77mm adapter? Silly Sony and their funky-ass sizes...I'm guessing 74 to 72 would be a decent bet.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:08 pm
Borax The Clean wrote:
So, 74mm to 72mm or 74mm to 77mm adapter? Silly Sony and their funky-ass sizes...I'm guessing 74 to 72 would be a decent bet.

So the lens size on yours is 74mm? You'd want to use a larger filter, and move down to the 74. Using a smaller filter would cut off parts of the picture.

Offline Profile YIM