<  The Floating Log  ~  Walk for Autism

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:03 am
Posts: 714Location: Inside the beltwayJoined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:18 pm
As some of you may know, I've an almost four-year old son who is autistic. We're extremely fortunate that he seems to be doing well with the various therapies and programs that he's receiving - he's very sociable, interactive, and an all-around bright kid. His communication skills are still horrendously lagged; he knows a bunch of signs and can say a handful of words, but he's a long long ways from being able to have a conversation with someone else. Fortunately, he's amazingly cute, so I figure he'll get snagged as some starlet's boytoy and live the life of luxury in a Hollywood mansion. ;)

That said, we're going to be doing a walk to support autism research come October 15th. Autism rates have been growing alarmingly over the years, going from 1 in 2500 kids in 1994 to approximately 1 in 166 kids in 2004. There is still far too much speculation and not enough facts regarding what causes autism, and what can be done to help cure it, and the US government isn't putting the needed research dollars into figuring out either. Thus, private groups are filling the void, and this is one of the ways we're trying to help. If you want to support us, send a couple bucks over here: http://www.walknow.org/05baltimore/sizemore. We really appreciate all the help and kind words we've received over the years, and the many more we'll receive in the years to come - trust me, that if it weren't for friends, I don't think it's possible to cope with all the issues that come with having a kid struck with such a disease. Thanks to ya all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:28 am
<3

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:42 am
Gulbenkian RecidivistPosts: 508Location: Shillong, IndiaJoined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:26 am
My thoughts are with you and your family, Blythe. A cousin of mine is autistic and having witnessed the trials and joys that he and his family have been through, I'll be walking with you in spirit.

IRL, I'm home in the sleepy hill-town I was born in. Trying to walk off a bit of excess baggage. :-)

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:20 am
Pretty town. And good to see you again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:06 am
Thanks WW, and I agree with Fuj in both respects - gorgeous town, and good to hear from you. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:32 am
It's already been a year, so I figured I'd post the request again. Last year we did the Cure Autism Now walk to raise awareness about autism and provide funding for research into possible causes and cures. You all were wonderful and generous in your support, and in the grand tradition of charities everywhere, I'm here to hit you up again.

In all seriousness, it truly was incredible seeing so many people send donations, of whatever amount, for our walk last year. I think no one was as impressed as Rachna, who kept asking me, "Who the heck are these people? Why are they saying it's for Blythe? And what the hell does "Wet crotch" mean, HMMMM?!?!?" (PS - please refrain from the wet crotch references, as it took far too long to explain last time.) Getting proof positive for her that "geeky internet friends" truly do care was worth as much to me as any cash we raised. ;)

And so, I go forth and spam the bulletin boards again in the name of a wonderful cause. If you are able to help us out, please do so. I'll hopefully have pictures after the event - I believe that this year we're walking the Washington Mall, so we should have some great shots. :D

Thank you very much in advance!!

The official request wrote:
Hello friends and family,

On October 21, 2006, my family and I will be participating in a very special event, WALK NOW benefiting the Cure Autism Now Foundation. It is a 5K walk and community resource fair with the proceeds going to further the search for causes and cures for autism. Autism is a devastating disease affecting over 1.5 million American children and their families. 1 in every 166 children is newly diagnosed with autism.

You may be wondering why Cure Autism Now and WALK NOW are so important to me and my family. My involvement stems from a very personal and deep emotional contact with this complicated disease. Many of you know that my son Jake was diagnosed with this dreadful disease 2 1/2 years ago. It has a had a huge impact on our family. I am walking to find a cure for him and other children like him.

I strongly feel that I can have a direct impact on finding causes and cures for autism. I also feel strongly that Cure Autism Now is a wonderful organization which has been instrumental in furthering autism research. In 1995, when Cure Autism Now was founded there were only 12 researchers focused solely on autism. Today there are over 300. That is progress. WALK NOW gives us a tangible way to help the nearly 1.5 million other Americans affected by autism and related disorders.

I am asking for your support in helping us raise money for this worthy cause. Any contribution you are able to make would be greatly appreciated, but I ask you to give big as there is a big need for further research. My personal goal is to raise $1000.00 for Cure Autism Now. Please send your tax-deductible donation in with a completed pledge form. All checks should be made payable to Cure Autism Now.

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support Cure Autism Now:

http://www.walknow.org/06dcwk/walk4jake

I look forward to hearing from you. I thank you very much!