[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Warehouse23 • View topic - What's your handle mean?

<  Old Guesthouse  ~  What's your handle mean?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:41 am
Posts: 39Location: Glasgow, ScotlandJoined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:36 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:15 pm
Posts: 18Location: Wakefield, EnglandJoined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 am
See, I'd never played an online RPG before KoL, and thought I'd go with something vaguely fantasy-sounding in case it turned out that people talked in-character in the chat and forums. Quite. So, Faustus Pringle, eh? Let me explain:

Faustus - After Marlowe's play, 'The tragical history of the damnable life and deserved death of Dr. John Faustus'. If only it weren't by Marlowe, it'd be my favourite Shakespeare play.

Pringle - Have you ever seen 'Sapphire and Steel'? It's a marvellous, intriguing, but woefully overlong and padded out (from what I've seen) 70s telefantasy series. The first story, 'Assignment 1', is a disturbing and sinister tale of ghosts and cracks in time. Then half-way through, a character called Lead is summoned, and, through being patently ridiculous, and through being massively, massively overacted, and played (for some reason) as a collossal black stereotype, manages to render the rest of the assignments uncomfortably amusing. Lead was played by actor Valentine Pringle, and in my online audio drama series 'The Fez of Etymology', we feature a Sir Joshua Pringle in his honour, as well as a character by the name of Lead Valentine. Quel dommage. Val Pringle would probably be quite well known as an entertaining actor these days had he not died so young.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:47 pm
Posts: 71Location: It's up in the air right nowJoined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:11 pm
Faustus- I'm glad there's such depth behind your name because anytime I see your name, as cool as it is, I can't help but think of Pringles chips and then I get hungry.

Mmmm Pringles. ;)

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:51 pm
And then I forgot to post what my name is all about. Heh. Oops.

Okay. So, Oxymoronic.

I've never played any other computer or video game RGPs so mine doesn't come from any of those. I took mine from my own personality. I kinda have the nickname of Walking Contradiction so I feel like I'm just a big silly oxymoron. Pretty ugly. Necessary Evil.

Microsoft...Works?

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:18 pm
Posts: 871Location: Richmond, VAJoined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:34 am

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:25 am
Posts: 50Location: On the torch.Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:52 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:06 am
Posts: 16Location: ohio :(Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:12 am

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:19 am

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 24Location: KoL UniversityJoined: Fri May 06, 2005 7:15 pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:03 pm
My name came from back in the early 90's when I used to go to wharehouse parties in Chicago. One day I was at a V.I.P. afterset of the kids who threw the event and one of them had stickers saying "Bad Monkey." I found this quite funny. Actually I found this so funny that I laughed for a few hours... (I might of been high or something) =P When I clamed down I was covered in stickers from head to toe. I've been known a BadMonkey ever since.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:40 pm
Posts: 9Location: Commonwealth of PJoined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:47 pm
Boring series of stories. (A series of boring stories?)

DeeBee: December 2004, Christmas shopping online. On a webpage with lots of political tee-shirts, there's this line drawing of a sword-bearing, martini-swilling guy with the caption "An adventurer is you!" and a URL. I look at that site and see a sabre-toothed lime cub. "This I gotta' try" I tell myself. I attempt to create an account named Puck GangWolf, a sauceror. For some reason, the account creation is borked and all I can choose is the Seal Clubber class. Well, a seal clubber named Puck GangWolf is no good, in my opinion. So I try again. But this time, I go for a different class and a very simple, straightforward name. Disco Bandit. DB. DeeBee.

Vatel: A few weeks later, I decide I want to try to make a new account, a mysticality class. Again, the account creation borks. The name is "foodie" (Vatel), but the class is Seal Clubber. What the hell, I decide. I'll keep Vatel, in honor of the master of ceremonies of Louis de Bourbon, Prince de Condé, who at a feast in honor of Louis XIV on the evening of 23 April 1671 produced a magnificent and astonishingly good meal (turtle soup, chicken, pheasant and fried trout). However, the next day, when the sole he was expecting for the midday meal failed to arrive early in the morning, Vatel committed suicide. The horror he felt at the thought of failing to produce another superb gastronomical treat for the king of France was such that he preferred to die than to live in such shame. An extreme character, that Vatel.

PistouMouf: I decide that the two brothers, DeeBee and Vatel, need a sibling, a mysticality/cooking class brother. So... PistouMouf is born. A Sauceror, his name comes from "Pistou" (pesto in French, appropriate for a sauce-maker, I figure) and "Mouf" (from mouffle, slang in French for "face" or by extension, head): SauceHead.

The end.

Last edited by DeeBee on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:26 am
Posts: 47Location: Kingdom of LothianJoined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:05 am
I have posted this on three different forums, and the damn Search button can't find any of them.

In Stephen Fry's novel The Liar, the main character spends a summer picking potatoes at a relatives farm. He is instructed to discard any potatoes going green, as this indicates that they have begun to photosynthesize, and they have become poisonous. He is told that this is a variation of woody nightshade.

Later that year, when he publishes a subversive school newspaper that gets him in big trouble, he chooses as his nome de plume Woody Nightshade.

Viola.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:47 pm
Posts: 384Location: Manchester, NHJoined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:29 pm